Countdown to hassle-free moving
It’s never too soon to start planning. Use these moving tips to help you start doing small stuff a couple of months before you move. If you continue to do a little bit every week, you’ll be surprised at how smoothly everything will go when moving day arrives.
Eight weeks before
Decide on a lawyer to “close” the deal for you. Ann Corrigan can recommend several options.
Contact your mover to make arrangements…..talk to at least 3 Movers and get referrals…..see the links below and chat with Ann Corrigan about Movers.
- Remove items from your attic, basement, storage shed, etc.
- Start to use up frozen foods and cleaning supplies.
- If you’re moving to a new city, contact the Chamber of Commerce or tourism bureau in your new community for area info.
Six weeks before
- If you’re moving at an employer’s request, verify what expenses and responsibilities are theirs and which are yours.
- Contact your accountant to find out if any moving expenses are tax deductible.
- Start an inventory of your stuff. What haven’t you used in the last year? What can be sold or donated?
- Make a list of everyone you need to notify about your move: friends, professionals, creditors, magazine subscriptions, etc.
- Make arrangements for storage, if you’re planning to store anything.
- Ask schools, doctors, dentists, lawyers and accountants for copies of your personal records. Get referrals.
Four weeks before
- Get a change of address kit from Canada Post on-line or at the post office…..
- Contact utility and related companies for service disconnect/connect at both your old and new addresses.
- Contact your insurance company to arrange for coverage in your new home.
- Buy packing boxes and pack items that you won’t be needing in the next month.
- Have a garage sale or donate unneeded items to charity.
Three weeks before
- Make travel arrangements and reservations.
- Collect important papers (insurance, will, deeds, stock, etc.).
- Arrange to close accounts in your local bank and open accounts in your new city.
Two weeks before
- Have your car checked and serviced for the trip.
- If you’re moving out of or into an apartment or condo, contact building management to book an elevator.
- Contact your moving consultant to review and confirm all arrangements for your move.
One week before
- Settle any outstanding bills with local merchants.
- Don’t forget to withdraw the contents of your safety deposit box, pick up dry cleaning, return library books and movie rentals, etc.
- Drain gas and oil from power equipment (lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc.)
- Arrange with your Lawyer a time to sign paperwork and discuss when to expect Keys on Close day.
Two to three days before
- Defrost your freezer and refrigerator. Block doors open so they can’t accidentally close on pets or children.
- Have your major appliances disconnected and prepared for the move.
- Pack a box of personal items that you’ll need right away at your new home. Load it last or put it in your car.
- Call to confirm the arrival time of the moving van.
- Make sure that someone is at home for any inquiries the van operator may have with respect to your shipment.
- Record all utility meter readings (gas, electric, water).
- Read your inventory and bill of lading carefully before you sign them. Keep these in a safe location until all charges have been paid and all claims, if any, have been settled.
- Be patient…..if Moving day and your Closing day are the same it’s hard to know exactly when you’ll get the keys to your new home. Your lawyer can guide you on timing but plan on late afternoon. If you can move a day or so after closing you avoid timing issues with the movers.
Visit Engel Moving for moving information.
Visit S and Sons Moving for moving information.
Saturn Movers (905) 257-6683